Student Affairs and Student Services

Student Affairs at the Faculty of Dentistry

Students are encouraged to discuss directly with instructors any difficulties they are having in specific courses.

Financial concerns should be discussed with the appropriate Programs Officer in the Student Services Office or with the Faculty Registrar.

The Faculty Registrar, the Director of Student Life or the Associate Dean, Graduate Education as appropriate, are also available for discussions of personal problems, academic or non-academic.

Students who have questions concerning the best way of routing a query to the appropriate office or individual should inquire at the Student Services Office (Room 104).

Student representation

There are two separate societies representing students at the Faculty.

Dental Students’ Society - (DSS)

The Society is the official undergraduate organization in the Faculty of Dentistry. Every full-time undergraduate student in the Faculty is automatically a member of the Society, which organizes and controls the athletic, dramatic, literary, social and other group activities of the student body.

Graduate and Postgraduate Dental Students' Society - (GPDSS)

The Society is the official graduate organization in the Faculty of Dentistry and is affiliated with the Graduate Students' Union of the University of Toronto. Each full-time graduate student in the Faculty is a member of the Society, which organizes social and other extra-curricular group activities of the graduate student body.

Student Services at the University of Toronto

The following services are available to all students registered in the Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto.

Health Sciences Writing Centre

The Health Sciences Writing Centre is a teaching facility open to both undergraduate and graduate Dentistry students. It offers free 45-minute sessions with experienced tutors. Dentistry students may bring in research papers or essays for any course, at any stage, and will receive help in developing their capacities to plan, research, organize, write, and revise their work. Workshops on academic skills of specific interest to Dentistry students are also offered.

The Centre has four offices including one located in the Faculty of Dentistry. Phone (416) 978-3448 to book an appointment. Website:  http://www.hswriting.ca/

Accessibility services for students

Accessibility at U of T website

Special Services offers liaison with academic and administrative departments and off-campus agencies. The service provides advocacy and support for students with a wide range of hidden or obvious disabilities and health considerations and incorporates a learning disability division. Facilities include provision of adaptive devices and equipment, tutoring, notetaking and alternative exam conditions for those eligible, on-campus transportation where appropriate, access to computer labs, and personal and career counselling. The objective of the service is to facilitate the inclusion of students with special needs into all aspects of university life. Students are encouraged to discuss their individual needs with a member of the Accessibility Services staff, and all discussions are confidential. Disability Services also provides information and resource materials on health conditions and disability related issues.

The office is located at 455 Spadina Avenue (just North of College Street), 4th Floor, Suite 400.  For more information please call (416) 978-8060 (Voice) or (416) 978-1902 (TDD) FAX # (416) 978-8246.  They can also be reached at accessibility.services@utoronto.ca.

Career counselling and placement

Career exploration and education website at U of T.

The Koffler Student Services Centre, 214 College St., University of Toronto, offers career counselling and placement services to all University of Toronto students and recent graduates. Career counselling is available on a one-to-one basis, as well as in group sessions dealing with such topics as career planning, occupational research, resume and interview preparation, job hunt skills and strategies. Placement services include part-time, summer and permanent job services, including the on-campus recruitment program for graduating students. The career library at the Centre supplements the counselling and placement services with employment, career and education information, marketing surveys, as well as directories of business and industry.

Housing services

Most of the University's students live at home in Toronto. The balance is divided equally between those who reside in a student residence and those who locate off-campus accommodation about thirty to forty-five minutes travel time from classes. The University of Toronto Housing Service in the Koffler Student Services Centre also serves as a year-round source of up-to-date residence information as well as other information a student might need to assist in locating and arranging suitable housing. Each campus Housing Service maintains listings of available dwellings advertised by city landlords and by students seeking others to join them.

See Housing for prospective dental students for more information.

Main housing website at U of T.


Residences for single, graduate and undergraduate students are located on all three campuses of the University. Students wishing more information should contact the Housing Service for a list of residences with address and phone number, and cost. At the Housing Service on the St. George campus, students may use the Residence Information Terminal to view photographs and get information for the residences on all three campuses.

Family housing

Family housing is available in 713 apartments on the St. George campus. Priority for the unfurnished university apartments is given to student families. The term "family" refers to students residing with their dependent children and to childless couples in a permanent relationship. Waiting periods for these apartments may vary depending on the time of year and the type of apartment requested so it is advisable to apply as soon as a student is seriously considering attending the University. Students may submit an application for Family Housing before being given an offer of admission to the University. Contact the Housing Service to receive an information/application package.

Off-campus housing

The off-campus housing market is currently very tight for tenants in Toronto, and there is limited accommodation available which is affordable for most students. Students who are looking for off- campus housing use the lists of advertisements displayed in their Housing Services as they would the "classified" section of a newspaper, locating accommodation to meet their needs while staying in temporary housing which they arrange in advance of their arrival. At the Housing Service on the St. George campus, students may also search on-line by type(s) of accommodation, area(s) of the city, and price range desired. The Housing Service at the Koffler Student Services Centre will provide a list of temporary accommodation on request.

For the winter academic session, some students rent their long-term housing from August 1 or October

1, avoiding the September 1 occupancy date which is popular with students at most post-secondary educational institutions in the city. Housing is usually advertised about four to six weeks in advance of the date it becomes available for occupancy and it generally takes one to three weeks for a student to locate suitable accommodation, depending on the type of housing desired and budget. Since accommodation is not inspected, the quality cannot be estimated or guaranteed. Therefore it is very important for students to meet with the landlord and inspect the premises before entering any agreement.

Cost of Student housing

Most of the residences have a compulsory meal plan. As a guideline, for the 2019-2020 school terms, the cost of residence with a full meal plan was approximately $11,200 to $19,500 for the eight-month academic session. Modified meal plans are available in some residences. The cost of a residence providing cooking facilities but no meal plan will be approximately $10,000 to $10,300. Fees are usually paid in two installments at the beginning of each of the four-month fall and spring terms. For 2019-2020, rent for the university family housing ranged from approximately $769 to $1,261 depending on the location and size of the unit, and is payable monthly. Housing Rooms in shared houses or apartments off- campus generally cost students $600 to $1,000 per month. However, a student requiring a private apartment off-campus usually pays $1,100 to $1,400, $1,100 to $1,300 or $1100 to $1650 for a bachelor, one- or two-bedroom unit respectively. A three-bedroom apartment will usually rent for $1,633 to $2,400.

More information can be obtained from the following office:

University of Toronto Housing Service, St. George Campus
Koffler Students Services Centre, 214 College Street
Toronto, ON, Canada, M5T 2Z9
Phone: (416) 978-8045;
Fax:  (416) 978-1616
Email: housing.services@utoronto.ca;
Website: http://www.studentlife.utoronto.ca/hs

Office of the University Ombudsperson

As part of the University's commitment to ensuring that the rights of its individual members are protected, the University Ombudsperson investigates complaints from any member of the University not handled through regular channels. The Ombudsperson offers advice and assistance and can recommend changes in academic or administrative procedures where this seems justified. In handling a complaint, the Ombudsperson has access to all relevant files and information and to all appropriate University officials. The Ombudsperson handles all matters in strict confidence, unless the individual involved approves otherwise. The Ombudsperson is independent of all administrative structures of the University and is accountable only to Governing Council.

For further information, write or telephone:
The Office of the University Ombudsperson, McMurrich Building, First Floor, Room 102
12 Queen’s Park Crescent West, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1S8
Telephone: (416) 946-3485
E-mail: ombuds.person@utoronto.ca
Website:  http://ombudsperson.utoronto.ca/

Sexual Harassment Education, Counselling and Complaint Office

The University of Toronto does not tolerate any form of sexual harassment and is actively endeavoring to provide an environment free of it. All forms of sexual harassment, from verbal abuse to inappropriate touching to sexual assault are covered by the University's policy. The Sexual Harassment Education, Counselling and Complaint Office was established to educate the University community on this issue. The Sexual Harassment Officer also provides counselling to those people who are the object of unwanted sexual attention and to those who are alleged to have sexually harassed someone, as well as implements the formal complaint procedure. Contacting the Sexual Harassment Officer is not a commitment to file a complaint and at any point a complaint can be dropped.

The services of the Sexual Harassment Office are available to all members of the University. All complaints and requests for information will be kept completely confidential unless the individuals involved approve otherwise.

For information contact:

The Sexual Harassment Office, University of Toronto
215 Huron Street, 6th Floor, Suite 603
Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1J7
Telephone: (416) 978-3908
Website:  http://sho.utoronto.ca/


Family Care Advisor

Many students balance family obligations with their studies. The University of Toronto is committed to fostering a "family friendly" learning and working environment.

The Family Care Advisor provides counselling and referral services to students who require child care, elder care or other forms of assistance with family responsibilities. Additional services include support groups, a newsletter and guest speakers. The drop-in resource centre contains a library of material on family issues.

The Family Care Advisor and the Resource Center are located at the Koffler Student Services Centre, University of Toronto, 214 College Street, Main Floor, Toronto, Ontario, M5T 2Z9. Students are asked to telephone (416) 978-0951 to arrange an appointment in advance.

E-mail: family.care@utoronto.ca

Website: http://www.familycare.utoronto.ca/